Filterlist licences (and licences in general)

Okay, so I presume that most (if not all) of us think that licences are convoluted. And that a fair few open-source tech enthusiasts take them far too seriously.

An example is GPLv3, which to me is for the most part incomprehensible, thus I can’t tell if people would bat any eyelids if I auto-grabbed content from someone else’s GPLv3 list (e.g. EasyList, uAssets, Frellwit, etc.) and used them in my BSD lists or not. I also can’t really figure out what the criteria for GPL-content modification even are. Mozilla Public License v2.0 isn’t exactly layman-readable either.

Although it seems to be rare for list maintainers to actually take offence to things like these, I know that it has happened with Energized Pro in particular, whose pissing-off of Steven Black was exacerbated by the former being yet another aggregate list as well as taking weeks off from development at a time.

I also haven’t really found any comparison charts/tables that compare different licences (although I haven’t really actively looked for one). It appears to me that CC0, WTFPL, and The Unlicense are the most free ones, followed by CC-BY, BSD, and DBAD, but none of them seem to me at a glance to be widely used by filterlist maintainers. Then there’s the stupidly strict ones like GPL, Mozilla, and CC BY-NC-ND, which are sometimes even spiteful enough to prohibit their use in more loosely licenced projects.

Long story short: Licences are confusing and convoluted, especially their relations to one another. It’s even making me tempted to create my own licence just for the [fun/hell] of it, so that I can feel confident in my intentions for my own projects.

2 Likes

Okay, so I ended up trying to create my own licence, which is basically in itself a convoluted way for me to say “Can’t we all just be friends instead of bickering?”. https://github.com/DandelionSprout/Dandelicence/blob/master/DandelicenceV1.md

On the presumption that anyone here have read up on licences and such, does that licence of mine look good?

Yeah, they are kind of a mess. It’d be nice to generate a simple breakdown of what the most important license features are to list maintainers. So, if list X has license Y, you know that your own list that you are maintaining can or cannot use list X in various ways because it’s licensed under Y.

I started to do that with the “Is adaptation allowed?” and “Is commercial use allowed?” in the License model of FilterLists: https://github.com/collinbarrett/FilterLists/wiki/License

But, it’s not visibly in the UI in any meaningful form yet.

As both you and Collin know, I moved from GPLv2 (not the or-later type) to CC BY-NC-SA. It was due to an agreement between myself and Ivan Ristić from whom I license Hardenize’s “Confusables” phishing hosts. I’m not crazy about the License, but it was that or not have access.

I prefer Anti-Copyright or CC0 and use them when possible. Going forward, I want to renegotiate with Ivan to at least be able to revert to GPLv2. On the other hand the non-commercial clause in CC BY-NC-SA really isn’t so bad.

1 Like